Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 5: A Stitch in Time

A Stitch in Time

This is my piece:   Canary@Work
27" x 16 1/2"
I create in Schaumburg Illinois



I started by looking up the proverb. It's basically about saving effort, saving time, procrastination is evil.... so I went towards the saving effort end of the spectrum.  My team at work is in the software development realm. We needed an automated testing solution that is easier to use. I took that task on.  With a couple of tools I developed Canary.  We call it canary, because coal miners used to send canary birds into the mines. If the birds survived, the miners knew it was safe.  This automated solution gives us the ability to run thru our application quickly, making sure it is functioning normally. 

So anyway when the challenge was announced, my mind went to canary and never really left.  Here are some sketches.





 I wanted to do thread painting and applique. So I have a canary sitting on a keyboard. The one above looks more pigeon like, so I had to be careful with the perimeter.  I didn't want to cut out and applique individual keys, so instead I cut them away and appliqued the keyboard onto a dark fabric.



I decided to leave the monitor empty because I didn't want to take away from the canary.



With help from my awesome mom I decided to add an outline on the canary. It looks way better.



I had a really fun brick pattern for the binding so I made it into a border/binding in one.


I had a huge time restriction this week cause some family is visiting Friday at noon thru Sunday at 1pm and staying with me. Luckily I was able to finish before 8am on Friday. Now I get to enjoy my weekend with family, stress free. And I get to show them Canary@Work!





Comments

  1. I love the idea of the canary & relating it to your actual work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything about your analysis using your work situation is perfect for this challenge. You have completed a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fantastic! Love reading about your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I don't know what I'm going to do without your challenges to keep me inspired!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project quilting: season 11, challenge 1: A Binary Life