Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 2

Project Quilting Season 9 - Challenge 2:   Triangulation

I call this "Tri Triangles"
My piece is 29" by 23".  I create in Schaumburg, Illinois



So "Triangles" is the basic idea. I've done some flying geese before, and some snowball corners (?), but I wanted my triangles to be bigger.  I didn't really have a story to tell with this one, but i wanted to have multiple examples.

When the challenge was announced, I was in the final day of a 4 day sewing retreat, and to be honest I was kinda tired.   That, and the fact that I needed to go smaller than #1 challenge, I went down in scale.

I started by going with some stash squares of my holiday fabric and making them into strips of triangles.  I made those strips into a triangle with a black center and black around it.  I like how black makes the colors pop.





I found a really fun round of Keepsake Calico fabric that had the same pattern, but spoke mostly solid, and in bright colors.  I wanted to find some additional shades (purple, brown), but the 5 I got was all I could find.


I originally created two large triangles in the calico fabric, but the two triangles didn't balance with the holiday triangle. I got some advice from my dad about interlocking a triangle (incidentally it was at 10:30pm in the middle of the week. oops). I did some overlap/under with a skinny triangle.



I knew I wanted to do a large triangle for the whole piece, but when I put it together, I would have had to add a LOT of fabric, thus defeating my idea of keeping it small.  I ended up making 2 triangles to create a diamond shape instead.  I added the binding in the same fabric as the skinny triangle to help it pop a little.

The quilting was fun.  In the black, on two sides of the border I did bubbles or circles. The other two sides I did triangles. but in both cases, they all interlocked and went wild.   Inside the skinny triangle I did a little echo-y quilting.  I didn't have enough colors of thread to match the calico fabric so I went with a tan color and tried different types of triangles for quilting.  I added a white inside line to the inside of the holiday triangle, because when I looked at if from far away, the black firework fabric blended with the inside black section. adding the white line separated them.

I like the quilting pattern its making on the back too!



This was an interesting challenge. I look forward to more...


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project quilting: season 11, challenge 1: A Binary Life

Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 5: A Stitch in Time