Project quilting: season 11, challenge 1: A Binary Life


Welcome to Season 11 of Project Quilting!  Find out more here.  
I am excited to do my first project of the season. I'll post a blog entry for each project (6 total).

I understand why you might think "binary life" refers to the current discussion of gender norms in society. This quilt has nothing to do with gender.  Binary in this case refers to technology.  I'm a software engineer. I've been into computers since i was a kid. Computers and the internet at their basic level are a series of 0s and 1s, aka Binary.

My original plan when i got this challenge was to do a binary binary quilt with a whole lot of zeros and ones pieced from scraps.

Life got in the way. Saturday morning and i still haven't started. I knew i wanted to do the challenge so i sat at my machine,  grabbed some scraps and tried to create a 1. Then i created a 0. Ok, easy enough. But i don't want to make a zillion of them.

I turned to the internet to find out the calculations of 0 and 1. Counting in binary is not 1, 2, 3, etc because you only have 0 and 1 to work with.

Example:

Decimal     Binary
    0              000
    1              001
    2              010
    3              011
    4              100
    5              101
    6              110
    7              111

I was going to start with 01 because its the first project,  but then i looked further.  If i created another 1, i would have 011 which equals 3. But for non binary is 11. Its the 11th season of project quilting, and my 3rd season of participating. Perfect!  And i included the 0 even though it didn't change the number and wasn't necessary because a lot of programming language counters start with 0 instead of 1.

I created another 1, pieced it all together,  quilted it and added the binding.  It's not perfect, but its me, a little wonky.

Here are some in-progress pics

  


A Binary Life is 11.5" x 24". I create in Schaumburg, Illinois






Comments

  1. Very cute. Wow at the tech knowledge. The little quilt is original and unique.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK. You lost me with the rationale for your numbers, but I LOVE that the 11th season and your 3rd time participating came together serendipitously. I'll take your word for the rest of it. My mini is a bit wonky, too, not no matter. It makes me happy. Good luck completing the rest of the challenges. Hope you win a prize or two this season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great piece! My son once printed out wrapping paper in binary that said 'Merry Christmas.'

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how technical your piece became and shows your interest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. incredible! Love what you created here and that you were inspired by binary numbers. I was hoping someone would be!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 5: A Stitch in Time