Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 3: bold and brave

PQ 9.3 theme is Bold and Brave
I'm Becca Easley. I create in Schaumburg Illinois. My project, Fl-i Eagles, Fl-i (it's an iPad case). It's 10.5" x 14"



I immediately knew I wanted to represent Bravery by trying a new technique: thread painting. This challenge was announced on Superbowl Sunday, when my dad's beloved Philadelphia Eagles were playing the seasoned Patriots. The eagle represents freedom and bravery for our country, I thought it was fitting to use this symbol.

I took a class a couple weeks ago called Folk Art. We took what was basically a coloring book page, traced it onto fabric with a fabric sharpie, sewed on the marker lines, and doodles in the empty space.  It was a great class. I didn't like how the market was so thick that you couldn't tell it was stitched. I wanted to try it another way.

 I found a really cool eagle image, but it was not the typical eagles logo, so I'll have to use that for something in the future.

Of course, my printer decided to act up and it took awhile before I could get the image printed that I wanted.



I had some leftover turquoise fabric from the last challenge that I could use as my base.  I pinned the image to the wrong side of the fabric, and flipped so I could see the back of the fabric.  I wanted the eagle to be facing left, so by sewing from the back, I could see the image and not have leftover paper on the front.    I could have also flipped the image before printing and pinned to the front. Anyway.... I traced the outline and major features using my free motion foot and black thread. I removed the paper.





I assembled all my thread and found several gradiations of gray. I have good values on each end, but I still need one good middle gray value. But I might end up just mixing the two closest values into the middle section and let the eye blend it for me.

I started thread painting the edges of the back of the head in black. It was important to me that it not be 100% solid. I want to see some of the blending and some of the stitches. I filled the outer section of the eye in black.



 It was getting late and the Eagles were triumphant in a competitive and fun game. So I did basic painting in golden yellow thread in the beak. I'll do more monday evening.

....

So all week long I've worked on the project here and there. We were hit with some big snow on Thursday night.




 I got to a point on Saturday where I needed the zipper & is be done. I got the zipper and sewed it on, Sunday morning. I only did a zipper in class before so I didn't really know what to do. I watched a bunch of YouTube. I tried sewing on the inside and kept having issues attaching the second side. So I unpicked it and just attached it on the outside and tacked it down really well.


I'm happy it's done. I hope my dad likes it.




Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project quilting: season 11, challenge 1: A Binary Life

Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 5: A Stitch in Time