Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 4: mellow yellow

"Where Did it Go-yow?"  (Pronounce go yo)
45" x 50"
I create in Schaumburg Illinois


I love mountain dew, I like mello yellow. I don't like yellow fabric. Evidence points to the fact that I only had one bit of fabric with yellow in my entire stash, and even that was because I was doing a theme and yellow was one of the six fabrics I picked up to be part of it.

So, I was a bit discouraged when I got this challenge. The day before the challenge was announced, I took a Block of the Month class and it focused on Disappearing 9 patch & 4 patch. I got my 9 patch done properly, but the disappearing hourglass block I tried in class was unsuccessful. When I went to cut it in 3rds, I made a mistake on the math and cut instead of marked. I should have marked it and checked rather than cutting immediately.




Anyway, I needed to redo it for my own piece of mind. So since mellow yellow wasn't giving me any artistic inspiration, I made it into a technical challenge.

I wanted to make accurate, disappearing hourglass blocks. I chose yellow and purple and began the painstaking process. I hate measuring. I just want to go with the flow. But I recognize to be a better quilter, I have to tackle the beast and learn how to be precise. . . Ugh

Here are some in progress steps....










Once I created the blocks I decided to make it into a throw quilt. I auditioned sashing colors and asked my family to vote. "Blue one, or blue two, black, gray, ...." I felt like an opthamologist.








Another issue this week was that I had plans in the evening. Previous challenges, I had a lot of open time. But this time I was helping with a play so I had to rehearsal.  Thankfully I had Monday off from work for Presidents Day.   So I knew of the time crunch and spent most of Sunday & Monday working on the quilt. I knew if I had any hope of finishing on time, I had to finish the top by Monday night.  Success!

I began quilting & ran into schedule conflicts. So I did some quilting after play rehearsal and tried to rearrange my weekend to have time to finish. I also chose to do two layers of batting cause I wanted it to be softer.

I made myself stay up to finish the quilting Saturday night so I would only have the binding left for Sunday. It might not be proper binding but I made my binding closer to a border  but I also made it poofy on 3 sides. As I was finishing, I noticed a Block with a purple corner that I had turned the wrong way.


Oh well, perfection is not for me. I really love how this quilt turned out.

I'm so bummed we only have 2 challenges left 😯



P.S. I call this my Batman block



Comments

  1. THis is cool! Looks like you had some fun playing with a new technique ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project quilting: season 11, challenge 1: A Binary Life

Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 5: A Stitch in Time