Project Quilting - Season 10, Challenge 2: Red, White & Blue



In March I will celebrate my 2nd anniversary of quilting.   2 years ago I went to a meetup group for "Quilts of Valor".  This meetup makes quilts for veterans and we meet monthly.  We create them with red white and blue fabrics in a variety of patterns.  When this challenge came up with PQ, I wanted to create a quilt, but not necessarily a patriotic quilt since i spend a lot of time doing that with QOV.

Snowflake Quilt:
 I started with the idea of a snowflake quilt.  I wanted to figure out if I can create snowflakes like we did with paper when we were kids, but with fabric.  I started by putting some interfacing on the back of the fabric to make it stiffer.  Then I folded it up into a cone-shaped triangle and cut various shapes.  The snowflake that resulted ended up cute, but not as awesome as I wanted.  So instead of creating a whole quilt, I just did a little wall hanging.  I appliqued it onto white fabric and did the quilting and binding. 

After I finished the piece I felt unfinished, so I started creating a heart to celebrate Valentines day

The Blue Heart
I didn't want the traditional red/white valentines celebration so I used blue and red. I had a lot of blue scraps, so I did some strip piecing and then cut out the heart shape. I again appliqued it onto a red background, quilted and finished it.

Now I have 2 new small wall hangings to celebrate winter & valentine's day!

I create in Schaumburg, IL (a suburb of Chicago)
The heart is 12" by 15"
The snowflake is 15" square


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Project quilting: season 11, challenge 1: A Binary Life

Project Quilting Season 9, Challenge 5: A Stitch in Time